A chain link fence is a widely used option due to its durability, affordability, and versatility. It is used for commercial and residential purposes and comes in different sizes, materials, and styles. Chain link fences have been used for centuries but have undergone several modifications and improvements.
If you’re planning to install a chain link fence on your property, it’s essential to understand its pros and cons, materials used, and installation tips. Here is everything you need to know about chain link fences from Pro Angle Fencing Summerville.
Chain link fences have many pros and cons, which you should consider before installing them on your property.
- Chain link fences are highly durable and can withstand harsh weather conditions.
- They require minimal maintenance, and you can clean them using a hose or a power washer.
- They offer excellent security, and you can add a privacy screen to block the view or add barbed wire to deter intruders.
- They are easy to install and can cover a large area in a short amount of time.
- They are affordable and offer a cost-effective solution for fencing large properties.
- Chain link fences offer little to no privacy due to their open-weave design.
- They do not enhance the visual appeal of a property and can look unsightly if not maintained.
- They do not offer soundproofing, and noise can pass through easily.
- They do not offer complete security and can be cut or climbed by intruders.
Chain link fences come in different materials, each with unique benefits and drawbacks.
- Galvanized Steel
This type of steel is coated with a layer of zinc, which helps to protect it from corrosion and rust. Galvanized steel is incredibly durable and can withstand extreme weather conditions.
- Vinyl-Coated Steel
This type of steel has an additional layer of plastic vinyl coating that helps to protect it from the elements and makes it more aesthetically pleasing than galvanized steel. Vinyl-coated steel can also be found in various colors, allowing you to customize your fence to match your home’s exterior design.
Aluminum is another material commonly used for chain link fences due to its lightweight and corrosion-resistant properties. This type of metal is also very durable and will not rust or corrode over time as other metals can.
Wooden chain link fences are becoming increasingly popular due to their aesthetic appeal and natural look. Wooden chain link fences are typically made from pressure-treated lumber, which helps them resist rot and insect damage better than untreated wood would on its own. While wooden chain link fences may be more expensive upfront than other fencing materials, they require less maintenance over time which can help save money in the long run.
- Stainless Steel
Stainless steel is one of the most durable materials available for chain link fencing and is resistant to corrosion, rusting, staining, and discoloration caused by UV rays and moisture exposure. It also requires very little maintenance since it does not need to be painted or stained like other fencing materials do to keep its appearance intact over time.
Installing a chain link fence requires basic welding skills and tools. However, following the correct installation process is essential to ensure it lasts long. Here are some tips you can follow when installing a chain link fence:
- Make sure you have all the necessary tools and materials before starting the installation process.
- Choose the right size of the fence, depending on the property size and purpose of the fence.
- Measure the area correctly and ensure the posts are positioned firmly in the ground.
- Install line posts every ten feet and corner posts adequately reinforced with concrete.
- Stretch the wire mesh and attach it to the posts.
Chain link fences require minimal maintenance, but regular upkeep will keep them looking good and ensure they last longer. Here are some proper maintenance tips to follow:
- Clean the fence regularly using a hose or power washer to remove dirt and debris.
- Inspect the fence to identify areas requiring repair or replacement.
- Lubricate the gate hinges to prevent rust.
- Clear any vegetation growing around the fence line to prevent damage to the fence.
Chain Link Fence Summerville offers a cost-effective, durable, and versatile fencing solution for commercial and residential properties. Understanding the pros and cons, materials used, and installation and maintenance tips is essential for anyone planning to install a chain link fence.
It’s critical to consider the purpose and size of the fence and choose the right material and design that matches your property’s aesthetic appeal. With the right installation and maintenance practices, a chain link fence can last decades and provide excellent security and value for money.