What Should You Do To Keep Your Home Protected From Power Surges?

Keep Your Home Protected From Power Surges

What Should You Do To Keep Your Home Protected From Power Surges! An electric fire can be very damaging to your home. Not only does this lead to the loss of valuable electrical equipment, but it can also cause physical and mental damage to you and your family members. There are some simple steps you can take to protect your home from electric fires.

This article provides some safety tips that you can use to prevent an electric fire in your home. If you have any queries regarding the working of any electrical equipment, always consult an expert and do not use guesswork to troubleshoot power-related issues.

Do Not Overload Outlets

Overloading outlets is a very common cause of electrical hazards at home. One of the few signs of an overloaded outlet is overheating. Therefore, make sure all outlets are cold when you touch them. Avoid using extension cords or multiple socket converters to connect devices. If you have multiple devices that generate heat, make sure to connect only one at a time.

If you suspect that the outlet is hot, seek professional troubleshooting assistance. Do not try to find the solution to your problem yourself as poses a danger of an electric fire. Many people believe that power strips increase the amount of power the outlet receives.

However, this is not the case. A power strip simply adds a power socket to the outlet. You can always consider replacing a traditional plug with a smart plug to record the power consumed by your device. This allows you to determine if the plug is overheated and needs to be unplugged.

Replacing a Damaged Cable

One of the most serious electrical hazards in the home is caused by a damaged power cord. It may cause an accident such as a fire or electric shock. The power cable and extension cable should be checked regularly for damage. If it is damaged, it should be replaced as soon as possible.

Care must also be taken to not push wires or cords under the rug or lock them in place. If stored under the carpet, there is a risk of tripping, and furniture can pinch cables. The wiring will be damaged. If you need more extension cords, you may not have enough power outlets. You can fix this by hiring a specialist who can install more outlets.

Handling the power cord as with any device in use should be done with care, even when the device is not in use. Biting or playing with cables can damage the wiring, especially if you have pets or children. Similarly, some people wrap cords around various objects which are not recommended. This is not recommended as stretching can damage the wire. It is also advisable to avoid placing the cable on hot surfaces. This can damage the cable insulation.

Store Your Device in a Well-Ventilated Place

Air circulation prevents electrical equipment from overheating or short-circuiting, which can pose a risk of an electric fire. The device must have proper air circulation to prevent overheating. This also means that they should not be used in closed closets or poorly ventilated areas. You also need to keep flammable materials away from appliances. For gas and electric dryers, make sure they are at least one foot away from the wall.

Keeping the Device Connected When Not in Use

Most of us have a bad habit of keeping the device connected when not in use. One of the easiest ways to avoid electrical hazards is to leave unused devices unplugged. Not only does it prevent the danger of an electric hazard, but it also uses electricity when you plug it in, even when you are not using it, which reflects in your monthly electric bill. Smart plugs are a great option in this regard because you can set the power plan for the outlet into which you plug them.

Use the Correct Wattage of the Bulb

It is important to choose the correct bulb to avoid the danger of an electric fire. You should check all the lamps and lights to see if you have the right bulb with the right wattage. If you have a lamp that does not have a wattage listed, you can use a bulb of 60 watts or less. Ceiling lights often use 25-watt bulbs.

Keeping Electrical Equipment Away from Water

Water is a good conductor of electricity, so it is not advisable to leave water near an electrical outlet. Make sure all electrical equipment is dry and away from water. It prevents accidents such as electric shock. Personal injury causes not only include physical harm, but also mental and psychological harm. Always keep your hands dry and train your child to do so when working with outlets and appliances. Electrical equipment should always be kept away from aquariums, sinks, and tubs.

Exhaust Fan Cleaning

Often overlooked, this advice is very important. The exhaust fan can accumulate dirt and debris that can cause the unit to not operate properly. This can shorten the life of the device and increase the risk of overheating. In some cases, flammable gases can also be generated. Therefore, it is important to clean the exhaust fan regularly.

Final Thoughts

A fire hazard can be a very traumatic event. They can endanger your home and family. Therefore, if you have a problem with your household electrical system, we recommend that you consider repairing your household electricity. You should always seek professional help in an attempt to fix the issue. You can always have a power surge protection plan and equip your house with Power Surge Protector.

Read More

Rizwan Malik

Hi, I'm Rizwan Malik. I'm an admin of, I'm providing a platform for the bloggers to share their ideas about technology, politics, lifestyle, and more to enhance their writing skills. My goal is to provide the best platform for my readers and visitors which could entertain them and where they can find their desired stuff.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button